October 11, 2010

Remember to Notice All the Good Behaviour!

Marjorie and Lettice Wormald, by Arthur Hughes
I found this poem in a book of childhood verses I have, and it struck a chord with me. I notice that there are days when my kids are playing wonderfully together for 30-45 minutes, but at the end of that time, trouble happens.  It can become a bad habit to notice the five minutes of trouble, and not praise the half-hour of kind and happy play.  This is something I have been trying to change lately. Here's the poem, from a child's point of view.

If Mother Knew
(From " In This Our World", Charlotte Perkins Gilman)

If mother knew the way I felt, 
And I 'm sure a mother should, 
She wouldn't make it quite so hard
For a person to be good!

I want to do the way she says;
I try to all day long; 
And then she just skips all the right,
And pounces on the wrong!

A dozen times I do a thing,
And one time I forget;
And then she looks at me and asks
If I can't remember yet? 

She 'll tell me to do something,
And I 'll really start to go;
But she 'll keep right on telling it
As if I didn't know. 

Till it seems as if I couldn't —
It makes me kind of wild;
And then she says she never saw
Such a disobliging child.

I go to bed all sorry,
And say my prayers, and cry,
And mean next day to be so good,
I just can't wait to try. 

And I get up next morning,
And mean to do just right;
But mother's sure to scold me
About something, before night 

I wonder if she really thinks
A child could go so far,
As to be perfect all the time
As the grown up people are 

If she only knew I tried to, 
And I 'm sure a mother should, 
She wouldn't make it quite so hard
For a person to be good!

3 comments:

Gae said...

Dear Jen,
I love this poem. It is eay to notice the things that irritate and not praise those wondeful progresses that children make
Thank you for the reminder
Blessings
Gae

Sara @ Saving For Someday said...

I'm stopping by from Robin's Mingle Monday. You don't know how much I needed this today. Thank you!

Kathryn said...

Thanks so much for sharing this poem! I may have to use it one of these days on my blog too. I remember feeling this way as a child, but now that I'm a parent, it's so easy to forget!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Design © 2011 Laura Jane Designs