November 4, 2010

A Butterfly Birthday Cake

We recently had a small birthday party for my youngest, and my children's favorite thing is to pick the kind of cake that they want me to make.  A butterfly cake was the choice for my little one, and after searching butterfly cake pictures on Google, here is what I came up with...


That is made from one 9" round cake, cut in half, with a little notch taken out of each half. M&M's are the candy decorating the top and sides, along with large gumdrops, and decorating crystal sprinkles. Some inspiration was found at the M& M ideas page, and Bake, Decorate, Celebrate.  I had to get ready after I made that one, so I asked my husband to decorate the other however he wanted.  Here is his decorated cake....


Isn't that neat?  The kids liked his as much as mine, but both were greatly enjoyed!

4 comments:

Melissa N. said...

I love it. So creative. Happy belated to your little one.

Dorie said...

Both cakes look great!

Tracey said...

Those cakes turned out beautifully!! I think my girls would enjoy a butterfly cake for their birthdays.

Courtney said...

Adorable, they look beautiful! Happy belated to your little one :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Design © 2011 Laura Jane Designs